How to Find Low Competition Keywords with High Traffic Tutorial (only for Webmasters) 2018
To rank on the topmost page of search engines, it is necessary to find low competition keywords with high traffic. As these keywords are not covered by most of the websites So, it’s a great opportunity for you to rank on keywords having low competition. These are the best source to increase your website’s organic traffic.
When I started my blogging journey, I was not much aware of the keyword analysis and that was the only reason I failed to get even a 50 organic visitors a day. But, as soon as I started learning, I get to know how important the keyword research for a blog.
A blog having proper keyword optimization can rank easily on top search pages without any link building.
If you have started a blog and want to rank with your targeted keyword to increase your online presence, you must consider these five important factors.
- Keyword Difficulty
- Use of Long Tail Keywords
- Content type
- On-page SEO
- Blog Post Promotion
By implementing all the above-mentioned strategies, you not only improve your organic traffic but you can also attract a few authoritative and natural backlinks too.
In this guide, I’m going to show how to find low competition keywords with high traffic and easy to rank on them.
You’re going to learn following things here:
- How to find profitable low competition keywords
- How to use tools to find keywords with low competition
- How to write a successful blog post that people want to read
How to Find Low Competition Keywords with High Traffic Volume
Sometimes, searching for profitable keywords with low competition becomes difficult when you analyze some specific keywords because many high authoritative sites are already ranking for those keywords.
So, what you have to do for your keyword research? Well, you don’t need to worry about here I have discussed some important techniques to find and optimize your website for ‘Low competition keywords’.
What are the low competition keywords?
Low competition keywords are those keywords that have an average amount of search volume with low competition.
A good searches volume depend on the type of your niche. For some niches, even 40 to 50 average monthly searches are sufficient to rank well in search engine. In other niches, average monthly search volume between 1,000 to 3000 is good.
High Search Volume + High Competition = SEO Failure
A Good Search Volume + Low Competition = SEO Success
Here are some steps to need to follow to find profitable low competition keywords.
Step 1: Do a Proper Keyword Research
This is the very first and important step to succeed in your goal. There are various tools (free as well as paid) available to find keywords with low competition and high search volumes.
You can use these tools to find your keywords have low competition. I’ll show you how to use them to identify profitable keywords.
a. Google Search
Type your main keyword in Google and make a note of the results appear there. For example, I search for a keyword “best keyboard for typing” and note the total returned results in a spreadsheet.
If the search results return less than or nearby 1,000,000 pages, then there are good chances for ranking on the 1st Page.
The next step is to perform the following search on Google.
- ‘allinurl: best keyboard for typing’, note the number of results containing ‘best keyboard for typing’ in URL. It shows all results with keyword appearing in URL. If the results are less than or nearby 1000 then you have high chances of ranking on the 1st page with a high-quality content.
- ‘allintitle: best keyboard for typing’, note the number of results containing ‘best keyboard for typing’ in the title. It shows all results with keyword appearing in the title. A result of under 1,000 or nearby is good and you have high chances of ranking on the 1st page with a high-quality content.
- ‘allintext: best keyboard for typing’, note the number of results containing ‘best keyboard for typing’ inside the article. It shows all results with keyword appearing in the article. Don’t try for a keyword where ‘Results with allintext’ is 50% more than the ‘Total Results’. In our case, the percentage is very different, so it’s not good to work on this keyword.
b. Find the long tail keywords
Now, you have analyzed the competition of your main keyword so it’s time to find some long tail keywords that match with your main keyword.
Long tail keywords are the best way to get more organic visitors, more leads and more affiliate sales.
They are less competitive as compared to your main keyword and get some decent amount of traffic too from google search.
These are the kind of keyword that appears when a user types into the Google search for what he is looking for. For example, a keyword “start a blog” can have a long tail keyword like “start a blog on WordPress’.
There are various tools to find long tail keywords such as:
# Google Auto Suggest
You may have noticed sometime when you type something on Google, it shows you some suggested keywords that are completing the search term.
But why Google does it?
Google is able to display all those keywords because people search them often. It means they are in high demand but you don’t need to jump up on them yet. You’ll have to do more work before choosing them.
# Google Searches Related Terms
This is another great way to find long tail keywords. Unlike Google auto-suggest, these keywords are also often searched by people.
When you search for a keyword on Google and scroll down the end of the page, you’ll see some related terms of what you have typed.
These are the golden keywords that can help to rank your article on top pages of search engines.
# Use KeywordTool.io
KeywordTool.io is one of the best free tools to find long tail keywords for a long time. This is also the best alternative to Google Keyword Planner and other keyword research tools.
To find long tail keywords you have to enter a keyword and select which country to target e.g. google.com (US), google.co.in (India) etc.
With the free version, you can generate up to 750+ long-tail keyword suggestions for every search term.
# Use SEMrush Tool
To analyze the keywords, I recommend you to use SEMrush which is my favorite SEO tool. SEMrush is a professional SEO tool for digital marketers and for bloggers. With the help of SEMrush, you can find Keyword Difficulty, Keyword Research, Competitors Analysis and Backlink Opportunities.
You can use SEMrush free trial for your keyword research.
Just go to SEMrush, enter your keyword in the search box under Keyword Analytics section and you will see a brief keyword overview for your entered keyword something like this:
Here, you will find the phrase match keywords and Related Keywords around a Targeted Keyword. Click on “View full report” button to expand the list.
After expanding the list, you’ll see the entire list of keywords around “Adsense alternatives” as shown below.
Now, from this list, choose the keywords having following metrics
- Keyword Difficulty less than 60.
- Number of Words more than 3
- Volume more than 200
You can also select some related keywords by expanding related keyword list. These keywords are semantically related to your main keyword. From select keywords, you can keep up to 25 keywords that are relevant, less competitive and have high search volume and remove the rest from the list.
Step 3. Analyze top 10 websites for your keyword
Just because you have done keyword research and have optimized your content for the right keywords doesn’t mean you will automatically get ranks. You will have to work
After finding the long tail keywords with good search volume, the next step is to analyze the strength of top 10 websites for your keyword.
The strength means you need to find information about the Domain authority, Page authority, number of high authority backlinks, their top ranking keywords and number of social shares etc. To check these metrics, I’d suggest you use the Chrome Extensions called as SEOQuake or MozBar.
To rank in the top position of the search engine, it is necessary to analyze what strategy your competitors are using and you can use the same strategy (here I’m not telling you to steal their content) or even better than them to place yourself on top ranking.
Check Competitors strength For Specific Keywords
1. To analyze your competitors and to find low competition keywords, just go to SEMrush dashboard and from the left menu select SEO Toolkit >> Domain Overview >> Enter your website URL >> Monitor your website performance.
Note: You can also use the SEMrush navigation system to find other SEO tools.
2. On the same page, you’ll find the competitor’s analysis section where you’ll see your main organic competitors and competitive positioning map that showing their strength and weakness in SERP ranking.
3. Click on the competitor’s website to find their traffic reports. Here I’m looking to check traffic report of a great SEO blog “bloggersideas.com”
With SEMrush, you can check competitors keywords, their site search traffic, backlinks and top anchor texts as seen below:
By monitoring your competitor’s strategy, you can easily find out the profitable keywords and backlinks to generate more traffic from search engines.
As I already mentioned in this post, do not copy the exact keywords of your competitors, because their targeted audience may be different from your audience. So, it is better to be smart and select the relevant and profitable low competition keywords with high traffic for your website or blog.
Step 4. Write a content that search engines (and people) will love
Now you have collected your low competition keywords list and organic competitor’s details. After analyzing this information, you will be able to come to a conclusion as to what needs to be done so that you can rank in top pages of search engine for your desired keyword.
The next step is to write an engaging content for your readers using this information. You should write a content that can give the satisfactory answer to a reader’s query for what he is searching.
Here are some important points you should remember while creating your content:
- Try to create a long-term content having more than 2000 words. A long-term content with high-quality rank high than the short-term content. Include relevant images, screenshots or infographics rather than the just heavy block of text.
- Keep your paragraphs short and use numbers or bullets to increase reader’s attention on your article.
- Use attractive headings and subheadings to grab the reader’s attention on the page.
- Write unique content that means do not copy from other sites. A site having plagiarised content have more chances of being penalized by Google. You can use these free plagiarism checker tools to check your content.
- Keep your content grammatical error free. A content with poor grammar can have a negative impression on readers and it directly affects your ranking. (I’m personally using Grammarly to correct my online grammatical mistakes which is the best tool).
Make sure you have written SEO optimized content
To rank on the top page of search engines, you must have to perform proper On-page SEO for your content. This step is something you can never rank without it.
Having On-page SEO means you need to include your targeted keywords in title tag, meta-description, h2 tag, image alt tag and in between your content.
You can use SEMrush’s “SEO Content Template tool” to get ideas to write a winning optimized content.
All you have to do is just enter keywords that you want to target with your content within a specified country and hit on “Create SEO Template button” to get SEO-friendly content ideas such as backlink sources, semantically related keywords (for page title, meta description, H1, text), readability and much more.
In the screenshot below, I have entered some keywords to get my SEO content template ideas.
SEMrush provides you some keywords recommendations and basic recommendations (based on your Google top 10 rivals). It also shows you how your competitors use your target keywords. You can save this result template as a doc file. These ideas help to create a well-optimized SEO content for your website.
You can’t create more than one SEO Content Template with SEMrush free plan. So, I would recommend you to upgrade it to one of their premium plans. And believe me, you will not regret later.
After creating a well-optimized content, make sure you reviewed your content several times (check grammatical mistakes etc.) before hitting the publish button.
Lastly, promote your blog post to all popular social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Medium, Slideshare and with your email subscribers too.
Ranking in the search engine is not a difficult work if you how to do keyword research effectively.
You can rank easily ahead of your competitors if you find the right keywords with low competition and high search volume.
Did you like this post on how to find low competition keywords with high traffic? Do you have any questions?
What tools are you using for keyword research?
Leave a comment below and I will be happy to answer your doubts.